Often referred to as “the pearl” of the Balkan Peninsula, Montenegro’s location between the Adriatic and Mediterranean Sea has gifted the country with a mellow Mediterranean climate, a rich cultural heritage and a landscape of wonderful contradictions where imposing mountains, fjord-like lake formations and the Adriatic coast coexist.
Montenegro’s return to political stability in the recent years, and the imminent EU accession has resulted in one of the fastest-growing economies in the Balkans. The country ranks highly for quality of life including high standards of education and healthcare. It is a member of the NATO and has adopted Euro as the official currency. Montenegro is quickly becoming a key destination for investors seeking mobility, security and opportunity for growth.
The Montenegro Economic Citizenship Program (MECP), also known as the “Special Investment Scheme” was launched in 2018 and it allows investors the opportunity to obtain the citizenship of Montenegro in exchange for investment in the country. Montenegrin Citizenship by Admission may be granted for selection of persons under a special decision published in the Official Gazette of Montenegro 34/10, 40/16 and 62/18 for the purpose of implementation of special investment programs of special importance for the business and economic interests of Montenegro.
The Montenegrin government has formulated an investment programme aimed at high-net-worth individuals, investors and entrepreneurs. This allows the successful applicant and his/her family to hold a Montenegrin passport and enjoy all the benefits of being a Montenegrin national, subject to making the necessary investment and complying with the specific conditions.
Why Choose Montenegro
- Short Timeframe
Montenegro’s citizenship by investment program is by far the fastest way for third-country nationals to obtain European citizenship. The entire process takes only three months from the date of submission of the application.
- No Requirement to Live in the Country
Unlike most other citizenship by investment programs in Europe, Montenegro does not oblige applicants to reside in the country — not even for a single day.
- No Language Requirement
There is no requirement to speak the Montenegrin language.
- No Restrictions on Dual Citizenship
Successful applicants do not have to renounce their original citizenship.
- Valid for Life
Montenegrin citizenship is valid for life, and holders can pass it on to future generations.
- Model investment opportunity
Low financial threshold, variety of investment options and the lowest property prices in Europe.
The following persons are eligible to apply under the Montenegrin Citizenship by Investment Programme:
- Main applicant and married spouse i.e. husband and wife;
- Children up to and including the age of 17;
- Financially dependent, adult children over the age of 17, largely supported by the main applicant.
According to applicable law, rules, regulations and practice that apply in relation to the filing of an application to obtain Montenegrin Citizenship via Investment, an applicant would not be eligible to apply and/or obtain citizenship if he/she or a dependant:
- Has not fulfilled the financial requirements of the programme;
- Has been sentenced in Montenegro or another state by a final and binding court decision to an unconditional prison sentence of more than one year for a criminal offense;
- Has not received a positive opinion by an international due diligence agent (including proof of the origin of the money intended for payment and investment).
Investment Options and fees:
- Government Donation
- €100.000 Donation in a Government Fund.
- Application fees
- €15,000 Government Application Fee for the main applicant;
- €10,000 for each additional family member (up to four members);
- €50,000 for each next family member.
- Government Due diligence fees:
- Main applicant: €7,000;
- Family members (up to four): €10,000;
- Family members (after the fourth): €1,500.
- Real estate Investment:
- €250,000 investment in approved real estate in a rather undeveloped area (in the north of the country);
- Or €450,000 investment in approved real estate in a developed region (in the Capital of Podgorica or the coastal region).
What Does the Procedure Entail?
These are the steps all applicants must take to finish the process. Each step must be completed before moving on to the next one.
· Months 1–2: Qualification Stage
- Choosing a licensed immigration agent;
- Signing of an agreement with the agent;
- Collecting all required documents;
- Payment of the Government processing fees.
· Months 3–5: Pre-Approval Stage
- Submission of the citizenship application;
- Reviewing of the application for administrative compliance, due diligence, and background checks;
- Getting the citizenship application approved in principle;
- Choosing the investment project;
- Full payment of the investment amount, any pending government fees, and the €100,000 donation.
· Month 6: Naturalization Stage
- Traveling to Montenegro to submit biometric data and the residence and passport applications in-person;
- Obtaining a certificate of naturalization;
- Receiving the passport.
How Savva & Associates can assist:
Savva & Associates offers the following professional services to third-country nationals interested in obtaining Montenegrin Citizenship through real estate investment:
Montenegro Residency and Citizenship Applications
- Preparation of the application and all supporting documents.
Real Estate Transactions
- Assistance at all stages of the real estate transaction, including real estate sourcing, title search, and property due diligence;
- Drafting of the sale and purchase contract and any other required documents;
- Registration with the Land Registry;
- Obtaining certificates from the cadastral authorities and notaries.
Tax, Finance, and Accounting
- Opening a bank account in Montenegro for the purposes of the real estate transaction;
- Tax registration, including applying for a Tax Identification Number (TIN).
Our team of highly experienced professionals can advise you further on the Montenegrin Citizenship by Investment Programme application, on the basis of your particular circumstances. Please feel free to contact Charles Savva at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how we can be of assistance to you.